Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Job Palaver

NOTE: IF YOU ARE STILL IN SCHOOL, PLEASE DO NOT READ, IT MIGHT DISCOURAGE YOU.

I am pissed and believe me when I am pissed, I blog. Today’s post is about the issue of jobs and those desperately looking for jobs. Believe me I know this is a moral sapping procedure.

While you were in school, you probably assumed, one plum job would be waiting for you as soon as you graduated. Check out your graduation pictures, you were probably smiling, filled with joy, promise, ambition. Now, take a second, take your eyes off this blog and look at your face- spot any difference? Your folks back then must have told you to finish with a 1st class, but with either a combination of alcohol, parties, periodically chasing the opposite sex, Football Manager, or a randy lecturer, you ended up with something like a 2nd class lower or below.

Unfortunately, your parents, uncles, don’t have those connections they lied to you that they had or you assumed they did and now you are stuck at home. You have probably watched all the series from Spartacus, Kyle XY to 24. You have probably become a neighbourhood nuisance chasing nubile adolescents or an alcohol hero. At this point your parents have lost respect for you. Internet cafes have a special seat for you.

Then you decide to fight back, you begin to aggressively apply for jobs. You scour the internet, newspapers for just that opportunity to make a living. You subscribe to Jobberman, Nigerianhotjobs etc to give you periodic alerts. True to their words, you get these alerts but what do they give you- more heartache. Your e-mail looks like a rejection headquarters. Every day, you see.

“Thank you for your application for the position. Regretfully your application has been unsuccessful and we are unable to proceed with your application. We wish you a bright and successful career.”

My question now is WHERE! Which career? What is bright??? Why are they regretting? Heartbreakers!

Now here is my grouse, this morning I saw an opening for a Panel beater at Stallion Motor. Nice! Good opportunity for someone skilful one I knew. I picked up my phone to call him but something caught my eye. Guess what the requirements for a panel beater were:

o Minimum 3 to 5 Years in respective field

o Experience in bus body building is most preferable

o Must have passed Senior Secondary, OND, HND

WTF!!!

A company looking for a panel beater with OND, HND!!! Now that’s unfair and the whole recruitment process in the country. You want to apply for a job and you see a requirements stating cognate experience of 4 or more years. How are you supposed to apply?

How do you even get any experience in the first place when no one is offering to employ you to give you one? Are you supposed to conjure experience from your anal cavity? They put up unrealistic barricades like having stupid experience, minimum of 2:1 degree and having at least a billion pubic hair (lol..ok, was joking there).

This scenario leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of youths who are ready to work, willing to make a decent, honest living. I am not pointing fingers or blaming these companies, they probably want the best for their business but conversely why are there more kidnappers, armed robbers, teenage pregnancies and FIFA 2011 legends out there today. I know why, the recruitment policy is shit!

I am sounding too serious already. This doesn’t sound like my blog. I am off to grab a beer. Ciao.

NOTE AFTER: I WARNED YOU SCHOOL PEEPS NOT TO READ. SIGHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment